A Message from Vice President Ali Gilroy:
Greetings FMCMEA Members,
I hope your 2019 has had a successful and not too stressful start. I wanted to reach out with some updates, reminders and general information. Sorry this is such a lengthy email. CHOIR DIRECTORS, please at least read the first paragragh!
Honor Choir - directors, please read and respond asap!
• Charles has sent out invoices to each director. Please follow the instructions as listed in your invoice. Remember checks should only be made payable to FMCMEA. New this year, we can now accept payment via credit card! This will however need to be coordinated with our Treasurer, Robert Madrid – Robert.email@example.com
• Music should have been received by all directors digitally. You can print these for your students or email them directly as well. If you need hard copies, please be sure to email Charles ASAP. Hard copies will be given to all students at our first rehearsal:
◦ Saturday, February 2 at Fresno City College, 9am-1pm (no lunch break!)
◦ Friday, February 8 at Shaghoian, 9am-4pm (yes, lunch break)
◦ Saturday, February 9 at Shaghoian, 9am-2pm
◦ Saturday, February 9 – 5pm call time – 6pm Concert
• Remember directors, you get in free, plus a guest, for all Honor Ensemble concerts! Come support your awesome kiddos!
• Choir directors - Attached is a list for Middle School and High School that we will include in the program and on merchandise. Please please please double check that we have your students listed and their names spelled correctly! I have to submit names to the printer Thursday – please reply to me confirming or with corrections by Thursday, January 24th at 3pm
• MERCHANDISE/FMCMEA Honor Choir Gear – we only have 22 kiddos that have ordered gear. I absolutely must send in the final list to the company this weekend. I will officially close merchandise pre-orders Friday, January 25th at 11:59pm. Choir Directors – please send this link to your kiddos – I super appreciate it! I will have about 2 extra shirts and sweatshirts in a few sizes available for purchase at the concert, so if they want it they really need to pre-order.
Honor Jazz this year will coincide with the Fresno City College Jazz festival.
• Music and registration will be posted very soon! Please check the website for links.
• We will need volunteers to help with this event as well. If you’re interested in helping out with Honor Jazz please contact Barb Shinaver firstname.lastname@example.org
• Barb has posted a detailed rehearsal schedule with times and locations to the website. Please start getting your jazz students pumped about this now!
Honor Band and Honor Orchestra was a great success! Congratulations to our band rep and team members Marco Mellone, Jacob Cordova, Scott Downs, Micah Davison, and Levi Dougherty and our orchestra rep and team members Emily Johnson, Kyle Humphries, Sarine Topakdjikan, KC Simba-Torres and Peyton Esraelian. Honor Band and Orchestra went so well this year! Thank you for your hard work! Thank you to David Gabrielson for filling in as our Percussion Representative. Thank you also to our host schools and directors. Thank you to everyone that helped in any way, big or small, we couldn’t continue to host this awesome event for our students without you.
For any students that did not yet order a DVD/Blu-Ray from the concert, it’s not too late. Please contact Vince Keenan at www.allstaterecording.com or if they want a photo, they’ll need to reach out to Tom at Island Photography email@example.com
- - - Below are notes from the CMEA Central Section Meeting including some general information, professional development opportunities, along useful dates for you and your students! - - -
Solo & Ensemble Festival will be Saturday, March 2 at Buchanan High School. Please be sure to get your students registered for this event! Private lessons teachers as well as school directors, please encourage your students to participate in this event. It is a very valuable learning experience! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or concerns.
CMEA Festivals – please make sure to get registered for these and get those checks in to Rob Bentley. Festivals are filling up fast, and in some cases already full. You will lose your spot if you do not get your checks in fast enough. If you have any questions regarding CMEA Festivals please contact email@example.com
Community Flute Choir of Fresno - Open to all ages and levels! Flyer attached
Informational meeting: January 31st at 7:30pm at Fresno Pacific University in the Ashley Auditorium. Refreshments will be served! Please contact Frank Velasco with any questions or concerns firstname.lastname@example.org
22nd Annual Double Reed Day – Saturday, February 2 at Fresno State. Open to all oboe and bassoon students and professionals. This is going to be a great year for Double Reed Day! Make sure to get your students there! Application attached.
Inaugural Wind Festival at Fresno City College - Saturday March 23, 2019 - email@example.com for additional information
FPU Community Music School
Fresno Pacific University Community Music School (a program that provides FREE private lessons to underprivileged middle school and high school students) will be starting again on January 27, 2019. If you have students that are interested, it is not too late to sign up. Currently they offer lessons in all the strings, woodwinds, brass, percussion instruments, as well as guitar. First rehearsal will be Sunday January 27, 2019, 1-3pm in Ashley Auditorium on the Fresno Pacific University Campus. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org CMS will also be expanding in Fall 2019 to include a voice/choir component and will also add the visual arts as well.
All Things JAZZ – Joe Lizama put together a great list of happening around the central section regarding Jazz. Please check out that attachment and share with your students!
Summer Music Camps:
• FOOSA Festival - June 9th - 23rd - foosamusic.org for more details (has not yet been updated with 2019 information)
• Sequoia Lake Music Camp www.sequoialakemusic.com
• La Sierra Music Camp https://www.lasierracamp.org
Upcoming College Auditions
• Fresno State auditions are THIS Saturday, January 26th – flyer attached with additional information!
• Fresno Pacific Audition Date – Monday, February 11th - please contact Dr. Erik Leung, Director of Bands at email@example.com, or Dr. Bethany Alvey, Director of Choral Activities at Bethany.firstname.lastname@example.org
Professional Development Opportunities
Thursday, January 24, 2019, KCMEA will be hosting their “Winter Warm-up”. This is a conducting workshop featuring guest clinicians, Angela Woo from John Adams Middle School and Lori Marie Rios from College of the Canyons. To make this as successful as possible, we need a great “reading” band and choir. The clinic will start @ 6pm and end @ 8pm @ CSUB (we need you there by 5:45pm at the latest). Not only will this be a fun evening, but you will be supporting local music educators as they engage in a great professional development activity. To sign up, just go to the following link and follow the directions. https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090d48afaf2fa20-kcmea1
General Music Specifically
• CCMF - Central California Music Fusion January Workshop with Jill Randall - Jan26th, 10am-1pm at Fresno City College
• New California Arts Standards Workshops at Fresno State - Feb 1 and March 1st (INCLUDE FLYER)
• American River Orff Schulwerk Association (AROSA) presenting Matt McKoy - March 16th, 9am-1pm @ Tim’s Music Store in Carmichael, CA.
• CHORAL LEADERSHIP ACADEMY California All-State Music Education Conference Fresno Convention Center: February 15-16, 2019
• High School & Junior High All State Honor Choir California Choral Director’s Association State Conference St. Joseph’s Cathedral March 1416, 2019 San Jose, CA
• ACDA National High School Honor Choir February 27-March 2, 2019 Kansas City, MO
• FCOE & VH1 Save the Music holding a FREE Workshop w/ Dr. Peter Boonshaft (Hofstra Univ.) will be held May 10, 2019, 9am-1:30pm @ Fresno City College
• Orff and Kodály 101: An Introductory Workshop will be offered again July 15-19th at Fresno State taught by Dr. Emily Mason. Registration opens March 12th and cost is $200 for the week.
• Choral: Summer Conference at ECCO July 2124, 2019 Dr. Charlene Archibeque, headliner
• Fresno-Madera Area had their first Round Table. They had 10 Educators attend from Parlier, Caruthers, Coalinga, Coarsegold, Firebaugh, Tranquility, and Madera Ranchos. Ryan Dirlam (CMEA Rural Schools Rep) and Janet Tenpas (FMCMEA Rural Schools Rep) are heading this up. Please reach out to them if you’d like more information email@example.com
Again, we’d like to congratulate four of our FMCMEA members who will be honored this February at CASMEC. The 2019 CMEA Awards winners will be formally recognized at the ninth annual California All-State Music Education Conference taking place this February 14-17 here in Fresno.
• Diego Zarate-White, California Elementary Music Specialist Award recipient
• Jose L. Vargas II, California Middle School Music Specialist Award recipient
• Leonard Ingrande, CMEA Byron Hoyt / Don Schmeer Band Educator Award recipient
• Dr. Lawrence Sutherland, CMEA 50 Year Membership Award.
I’d also like to encourage everyone to catch some of FMCMEA ensembles who have the honor of performing at CASMEC.
• Thursday, February 14th at 1pm – Kastner Intermediate Jazz Birds Vocal Ensemble and their director Teresia Gaffney
• Thursday, February 14th at 3:30pm – Kingsburg High School Wind Ensemble and their director Michael Schofield
• Thursday, February 14th at 5:00pm – Eva Scow in the Headliner Concert
• Friday, February 15th at 9:30am – Granite Ridge Intermediate Symphonic Band and their director Jose Vargas
• Friday, February 15th at 11:30am – Clovis Unified Choirs and their director Dan Bishop
• Friday, February 15th at 3:15pm – Central High School Wind Ensemble and their director Leonard Ingrande
• Saturday, February 16th at 3:30pm – Sacramento State Symphonic Wind Ensemble and their director Matthew Morse
The full list of performances is here - https://casmec.org/performances/
The All-State Jazz Ensembles will be performing Friday, February 15th at 4:30pm
The All-State Wind Symphony and Symphony Orchestra will be performing Saturday, February 16th at 4:30pm
The All-State HS Concert Band, Symphonic Band and String Orchestra will be performing Sunday, February 17th at 9am
The All-State JHS Concert Band, Symphonic Band and String Orchestra will be performing Sunday, February 17th at 1pm
Finally here is a link to the clinic scheduled for CASMEC - https://casmec.org/clinics/
Thank you all for your time and the countless hours you give every day to the music students here in Fresno and Madera Counties. If you have any information you’d like us to get out to the membership please just send an email to myself or Joe with exactly what you’d like said and any attachments so we can review before distributing. Please do not ever hesitate to contact us with any additional questions or concerns.
Ali Gilroy Golden
FMCMEA, Vice President